Consett was the centre of a network of associated industries and sites, some of which were owned by the company. These included numerous pits, coking works and staithes as well as a strong interest in the dock complex at Tyne Dock near Jarrow.
Derwenthaugh Coke Works on its last day of operation in 1986. It was a Consett Iron Company-owned coking plant on the River Derwent near Swalwell to the south west of Gateshead. The works were built in 1928 on the site of the Crowley’s Iron Works, which had at one time been the largest iron works in Europe. The site was closed in 1986 and gradually demolished, to be replaced by Derwenthaugh Park. The rolling stock can be seen on various heritage lines, including the Hunslet at Bowes Railway – see next two images. Image from the Newcastle Chronicle. Hunslet 6263, once at Derwenthaugh… …and now at Bowes Railway, looking very much smarter Derwenthaugh Coke works at night, taken in 1985 by Steve RT and posted on the DP Review website. Tyne Dock in 1934. Coastal vessels would moor at one of 4 staithes, unloading at between 400 – 500 tons of coal or ore an hour. Tyne Dock was reputed to be the quickest in the country for loading times. Plan of Tyne Dock in 1934. The ore would be unloaded and taken from the adjacent sidings to Consett in specially designed hopper wagons with bottom opening doors. Diagrams of the entrances to Tyne Dock, giving depths at the dock mouth and the quay. Consett Iron Company also owned staithes at Derwenthaugh, further upstream. Both Tyne Dock and Derwenthaugh were capable of continuous loading, day and night, as required.